raise the anteidiom
Definition of raise the ante
1 : to raise the cost or price The popular actor first demanded twice the salary offered him but then kept raising the ante.
2 : to increase the risk or possible harm that could result from something —often + on The new law raises the ante on people who cheat on their taxes.
3 : to set a higher standard or goal —often + on The film raises the ante on special effects.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Add Diction Play the game