quina·ry | \ ˈkwīnərē, -win-\
Definition of quinary
(Entry 1 of 2)
1 : consisting of five : arranged by fives : quintuple the quinary system is based on counting the fingers of one hand— H. J. Spinden
2 : of the fifth order or rank
Definition of quinary (Entry 2 of 2)
: a quinary group or system
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
- Hot Enough for You? Words for the Summer Heat
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game