Definition of quarter-phase
: of or relating to a combination of two circuits energized by alternating electromotive forces that differ in phase by a quarter of a cycle or by 90 degrees : of or relating to a four-wire two-phase system or apparatus having the neutral points of the two phases at the same potential : two-phase
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Summer Reading Picks from Merriam-Webster Staffers
- The Wayward Cousins of 'Irregardless'
- Different Words for Luggage and Baggage
- Rapping on 'Bad Rap' and 'Bad Rep' (and 'Bad Wrap')
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Challenging Vocabulary Quiz Returns! Take the quiz
- Time Traveler Quiz: Which Word Came First? Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game