put to sleepidiom
Definition of put to sleep
1 : to give (a sick or injured animal) drugs that will make it die without pain
2 informal : to use a drug to make (someone) unconscious before a medical operation : to give (someone) anesthesia before a medical operation
3 : to get (someone) ready to sleep for the night Did you put the kids to sleep?
4 : to make (someone) fall asleep from boredom Her lectures used to put me to sleep.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Hot Enough for You? Words for the Summer Heat
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game