Definition of put to sleep
1 : to give (a sick or injured animal) drugs that will make it die without pain
2 informal : to use a drug to make (someone) unconscious before a medical operation : to give (someone) anesthesia before a medical operation
3 : to get (someone) ready to sleep for the night Did you put the kids to sleep?
4 : to make (someone) fall asleep from boredom Her lectures used to put me to sleep.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- “In Vino Veritas” and Other Latin Phrases to Live By
- 7 Shakespearean Insults to Make Life More Interesting
- Word Well Used: 'Resplendent'
- Machiavellianism and (A Whole Lot) More
Ask the Editors
- That Sounds Right/Write/Wright Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game