pull apartphrasal verb
Definition of pull apart
1 : to be separated into parts or pieces by pulling The rolls pull apart easily.
2 : to separate or break (something) into parts or pieces She pulled the rolls apart with her hands. —sometimes used figuratively His gambling problem is pulling the family apart.
3 : to separate (people or animals) in order to stop a fight Customers stepped in and pulled the two men apart.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game