variants: or process cheese
Definition of processed cheese
: a smooth, uniform cheese that is made by blending and melting together one or more cheeses of different maturity or composition along with an emulsifying salt (such as disodium phosphate) and typically other ingredients (such as coloring, cream, water, or whey) Processed cheeses are more uniform, melt faster and generally stay fresh longer.— Marty Meitus The attractions of process cheese for the consumer include the familiar appeal of any branded product—the assurance of sameness time after time. — Consumer Reports
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
- Hot Enough for You? Words for the Summer Heat
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game