Examples of hypothesis in a Sentence
- In contrast to Bingham's hypothesis that Machu Picchu was the birthplace of the first Inca and the hearth area of the Inca civilization, current scholars believe that the city was built as a country estate … —Roger Balm, Focus On Geography, Spring 2004
- Campus veterans marvel at all the poolside apartments that have sprung up since Georgia popped the income cap off its merit awards. Professors are testing their hypothesis that instead of increasing college enrollment, the state's $1.7 billion scholarship program has been a blessing for the automobile industry—since so many families roll the savings into buying new cars. —Greg Winter, New York Times, 31 Oct. 2002
- Isaac Newton initially argued against a parabolic orbit for the … comet of 1680, preferring the hypothesis of two independent comets, one for the inbound and one for the outbound leg. However, Newton later showed that the orbit of the comet could indeed be fit by a parabola. —Daniel C. Boice and Walter Huebner, "Physics and Chemistry of Comets," in Encyclopedia of the Solar System Paul R. Weissman et al., editors, 1999
- As stated, our working hypothesis suggests a straightforward way to look for evidence that would confirm or disconfirm it: can you predict what is omitted and what is included in alphabetic representations? —Timothy Shopen and Joseph M. Williams, Standards and Dialects in English, 1980
Other chemists rejected his hypothesis.
Their hypothesis is that watching excessive amounts of television reduces a person's ability to concentrate.
The results of the experiment did not support his hypothesis.
Recent Examples of hypothesis from the Web
One hypothesis is that talc applied to the genital area can migrate up the vagina to the ovaries, causing chronic inflammation that eventually results in malignancies.
In emails with colleagues and friends, traders are sharing links about the superstitious hypothesis, joking -- possibly -- that Monday’s total eclipse of the sun could help make sense of the market’s recent slip.
Keep in mind, NASA's Earth Observatory maps are based on hypothesis, compiled using satellite data collected on the exact date between 2000 and 2016.
There’s one more hypothesis about what could happen that is a real mind-bender.
Among hypotheses: Pregnancy might contribute to vascular problems or unleash preexisting tendencies.
The new evidence from Coronodon havensteini, described by paleontologist Jonathan Geisler and colleagues, supports the second hypothesis.
That hypothesis has worrisome implications for less skilled workers.
This is a hypothesis being tested by Tom Lohuis, a wildlife research biologist with the Alaska Department of Fish and Game, and Roman Dial, a professor at Alaska Pacific University.
These example sentences are selected automatically from various online news sources to reflect current usage of the word 'hypothesis.' Views expressed in the examples do not represent the opinion of Merriam-Webster or its editors. Send us feedback.
Synonymstheory, proposition, supposition, thesis
Related Wordsassumption, concession, premise (also premiss), presumption, presupposition, theorem; conjecture, generalization, guess, guesswork, inference, speculation, surmise; proffer, proposal, suggestion; feeling, hunch, impression, inkling, notion, suspicion; abstraction, concept, conception, construct
Near Antonymsassurance, certainty, fact, knowledge
Synonym Discussion of hypothesis
- a hypothesis explaining the extinction of the dinosaurs
- the theory of evolution
- the law of gravitation
HYPOTHESIS Defined for English Language Learners
Definition of hypothesis for English Language Learners
: an idea or theory that is not proven but that leads to further study or discussion
HYPOTHESIS Defined for Kids
Definition of hypothesis for Students
medical Definition of hypothesis
- it appears, then, to be a condition of the most genuinely scientific hypothesis that it be…of such a nature as to be either proved or disproved by comparison with observed facts
- —J. S. Mill
Seen and Heard
What made you want to look up hypothesis? Please tell us where you read or heard it (including the quote, if possible).