variants: or counter-hypothesis
Definition of counterhypothesis
: a hypothesis that contradicts another hypothesis What can be said … of the conflicts that occur when traditional humanistic methods of interpretation run up against the questions, objections, and counterhypotheses of so-called revisionist art history?— Mark Roskill Science is a negotiation—an iterative process rooted in asking questions, in testing hypotheses and counter-hypotheses.— Eric Holt Gimenez
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 7 Words Related to "Work"
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 9/13/19
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?