po·go·nia | \ pəˈgōnyə, -nēə\
Definition of pogonia
1 capitalized : a genus comprising terrestrial orchids of the north temperate zone that have a slender rootstock, one or few leaves, and a solitary terminal flower with a crested tip and being sometimes extended to include forms usually placed in the genera Isotria and Triphora
2 plural -s : any orchid of Pogonia or a closely related genus
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
- Lovelock to Trichologist: 8 Words About Hair
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game