plunge intophrasal verb
plunged into; plunging into; plunges into
Definition of plunge into
1 : to push (something) into (something) quickly and forcefully He plunged the knife into the cake. I plunged the sponge into the bucket of water.
2 : to start doing (something) with enthusiasm and energy She plunged (right) into the assignment.
3 : to suddenly begin to be in (a particular and usually bad condition or situation) He plunged into a severe depression.
4 : to cause (someone or something) to suddenly be in (a particular condition or situation) A series of bad management decisions had plunged the company into debt. The author plunges his readers into a world of fantasy.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Word Puzzles Take the quiz
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Add Diction Play the game