Definition of plate mark
(Entry 1 of 2)
1 : hallmark
2 : a depression of an etching or engraving made by the pressure of the edge of the plate upon the dampened paper while printing
3 : an impression from a flat uninked plate to smooth a rough area prior to printing or to produce a blind panel
plate marktransitive verb
Definition of plate mark (Entry 2 of 2)
: to impress with a plate mark
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
- Words We're Watching: 'Samesies'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 10/18/19
- Noah Webster's Spelling Wins and Fails
- The Disputed Origins of the 'Egg Cream'
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game