Definition of pitch line
1 : the line on which the pitch of gear teeth or sprocket teeth is measured and which consists of an ideal line in a toothed gear or rack which bears such a relation to a corresponding line in another gear with which it works that the two lines will have a common velocity (as in rolling contact)
2 : the line from which players lag in the game of marbles
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 7 Words Related to "Work"
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 9/13/19
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?