pin·a·col | \ ˈpinəˌkȯl, -kōl\
Definition of pinacol
1 : a liquid glycol (CH3)2C(OH)C(OH)(CH3)2 that forms a crystalline hexahydrate C6H12(OH)2.6H2O and that is usually made from acetone by reduction with amalgamated magnesium followed by hydrolysis of the intermediate magnesium derivative; 2,3-dimethyl-2,3-butanediol
2 : any of a series of tetrasubstituted derivatives of ethylene glycol obtained by reduction of ketones other than acetone
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 'Buck Naked' or 'Butt Naked'?
- Do You 'Rein In' or 'Reign In' Something?
- Tiger Mom, Helicopter Parent, and More Words for Parenting Types
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 6/21/19
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words for Summer: A Quiz Take the quiz
- Finance Words Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Syn City Play the game