Examples of pierce in a Sentence
The needle pierced her skin.
The bullet pierced his lung.
The needle pierced into her skin.
The bullet pierced through his lung.
A scream pierced the silence.
Recent Examples of pierce from the Web
But Pyongyang’s worsening provocations have also set off another kind of intellectual arms race among foreign-policy thinkers: the search for the perfect historical analogy that can pierce the fog surrounding the present crisis.
Add Asian pears and cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until sprouts are golden brown and tender (but not mushy!) when pierced with a knife.
Facilities should be clean and offer tips on how to care for a tattoo or piercing.
Byrnes was thrown into concrete blocks, breaking ribs that pierced his heart.
In one neighborhood basketball game, Mr. Sokoli refused to quit despite a broken bone piercing the skin on his hand.
The report also explains how the rate of complications, mainly infection, is unknown, and advises teens to research a facility before getting a tattoo or piercing, the release states.
The pinprick itself, like cosmetic ear piercing, has no medical benefits or harm.
Now pierce the meat in the leg joint and see if the juices run clear.
These example sentences are selected automatically from various online news sources to reflect current usage of the word 'pierce.' Views expressed in the examples do not represent the opinion of Merriam-Webster or its editors. Send us feedback.
Origin and Etymology of pierce
Synonym Discussion of pierce
- entered the city in triumph
- the enemy penetrated the fortress
- pierced the boil with a lancet
- probed the depths of the sea
PIERCE Defined for English Language Learners
PIERCE Defined for Kids
Definition of pierce for Students
- I had my ears pierced.
- A stab of fear pierced his heart.
- The sunshine pierced through their faded dresses …
- —Laura Ingalls Wilder, Little House on the Prairie
legal Definition of pierce
- the object of summary judgment is to pierce the pleadings and allow a judgment on the merits
- —J. H. Friedenthal et al.
- the Internal Revenue Service may attempt to pierce the plain meaning of the agreement
- —W. M. McGovern, Jr. et al.
- a…creditor in New York cannot pierce the corporate veil solely on grounds of inadequate capitalization
- —R. C. Clark
Seen and Heard
What made you want to look up pierce? Please tell us where you read or heard it (including the quote, if possible).