Definition of perceived
1 : regarded in a specified way —used to say how something or someone is seen or thought of a perceived threat [=something that is thought of as being a threat]In one widely held view, the dismaying distortions of so-called attack ads—negative advertising aimed at a political opponent's perceived weaknesses—have contributed to a spreading cynicism and apathy among American voters.— John Algeo and Adele Algeo
2 : recognized through the senses Pitch is a perceived quality of sound ordered on a scale from low to high.— Rita L. Atkinson et al.
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 5/24/19
- Summer Reading Picks from Merriam-Webster Staffers
- The Wayward Cousins of 'Irregardless'
- Different Words for Luggage and Baggage
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Challenging Vocabulary Quiz Returns! Take the quiz
- Time Traveler Quiz: Which Word Came First? Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game