:a state of tranquility or quiet: such as
:freedom from civil disturbance
- Peace and order were finally restored in the town.
:a state of security or order within a community provided for by law or custom
:freedom from disquieting or oppressive thoughts or emotions
- I have been in perfect peace and contentment
- —J. H. Newman
:harmony in personal relations
- The sisters are at peace with each other.
:a state or period of mutual concord between governments
- There was a peace of 50 years before war broke out again.
:a pact or agreement to end hostilities between those who have been at war or in a state of enmity
- offered the possibility of a negotiated peace
- —New York Times
—used interjectionally to ask for silence or calm or as a greeting or farewell
:in a state of concord or tranquility
- The problem was settled and his mind was at peace.