:to have or bear (an emotion or attitude) to someone or something
- owes his friend an apology
- They owe allegiance to their country.
- Children owe their parents respect.
2 a (1)
:to be under obligation to pay or repay in return for something received :be indebted in the sum of
:to be under obligation to render (something, such as duty or service)
- A lawyer owes her client legal advice.
:to be indebted to
- owes the grocer for supplies
:to be indebted for
- owed his wealth to his father
:to be attributable
- an idea that owes to Greek philosophy
:to have a responsibility to do something to satisfy an obligation or duty
- owes it to voters to explain his reasons
- I owed it to her to give her this opportunity
- —Colin MacIness