overtaken by eventsidiom
Definition of overtaken by events
: forced to be changed because of something that has suddenly and unexpectedly happened The original date for the meeting was overtaken by events and had to be changed.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Farm Idioms Quiz Take the quiz
- Up in the Sky: A Quiz Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Citation Play the game