transitive + intransitive
: to restrict oneself to an extremely narrow field or occupation
- scientists who overspecialize
- Don't overspecialize. Take advantage of every opportunity to add to your repertoire of skills and store of knowledge.
- —Andrew Benett
: to restrict (something) to an excessively narrow focus or scope
- overspecialized their students' education
- … is considering adding a la carte services … such as firewalls and gaming services, but doesn't plan to overspecialize its offerings too soon.
- —Ed Gubbins
- Unfortunately, the mobility and sophistication of modern criminals seems to be growing at an alarming rate. In response, some police agencies tend to overspecialize their criminal investigative units.
- —Daniel S. McDevitt
All cities tend to have their runs of bad economic times for many reasons, ranging from unavoidable hard luck to outright shortsightedness, folly and overspecialization.