transitive + intransitive
: to prescribe (a medication, diagnostic test, etc.) in excess or more often than necessary
- The family of a man who fatally overdosed is suing his doctors claiming they overprescribed addictive pain medication.
- —WPXI.com (Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania)
- … tried … to warn the world against overprescribing antibiotics to a point that they would be useless.
- —Network Ten (Australia)
- Critics say Xanax is overprescribed and widely abused.
- —Jane Velez-Mitchell
- … the compelling and continuing issues of quality control and overprescribing in medical imaging …
- —David J. Brenner and Hedvig Hricak
- Why do doctors overprescribe? Is it about covering their backsides in this litigious society?
- —Michael T. Osterholm and Mark Olshaker