overplay one's cardsidiom
Definition of overplay one's cards
: to make a mistake due to the belief that one's position is stronger or better than it really is The union overplayed its cards by demanding too much, causing the company to withdraw what would have been its best offer.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game