overplay one's handidiom
Definition of overplay one's hand
: to make a mistake due to the belief that one's position is stronger or better than it really is The union overplayed its hand by demanding too much, causing the company to withdraw what would have been its best offer.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
- We Added New Words to the Dictionary for September 2019
- 7 Words Related to "Work"
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?