Definition of overestimation
: the act or an instance of estimating someone or something too highly The overestimation of the value of an advance in medicine can lead to more trouble than anyone can foresee …— Lewis Thomas … their wild overestimation of the reader's attention span …— Lev Grossman … potential problems of underestimation or overestimation of disease rates …— Tonny J. Oyana et al.
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Summer Reading Picks from Merriam-Webster Staffers
- The Wayward Cousins of 'Irregardless'
- Different Words for Luggage and Baggage
- Rapping on 'Bad Rap' and 'Bad Rep' (and 'Bad Wrap')
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Time Traveler Quiz: Which Word Came First? Take the quiz
- Slippery Words Quiz—Changing with the Times Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game