Definition of overcivilized
: civilized to an excessive degree … the idea held in some of the upper classes that America was somehow soft—"overcivilized," as Theodore Roosevelt put it.— Evan Thomas … the social drapery commonly muffling, in an overcivilized age, the sharpness of human contacts.— Henry James
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- We Added New Words to the Dictionary for September 2019
- 7 Words Related to "Work"
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?