Definition of overcentralize
: to centralize (something, such as power or authority) to an excessive degree … any condition that tends to overcentralize political power is dangerous.— John Francis Cronin … a tendency of commanders to overcentralize authority and control, denying junior officers the opportunity to exercise independent command and judgment.— Donald A. Carter A third genre of complaints against the multinational corporation is that it overcentralizes management decisions in its head office.— Neil H. Jacoby … the current provincial trend to overcentralize public services, from the police and education to health care, in the name of short-term cost-cutting …— Anthony Winson and Belinda Leach
Keep scrolling for more
incapable of being surmounted or overcome
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words for Summer: A Quiz Take the quiz
- Finance Words Quiz Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game