out of tuneidiom
Definition of out of tune
1 : in a state in which the correct musical sound is not played or sung The piano was out of tune.
2 : in a state in which people do not agree with or understand one another —usually + with His speech was completely out of tune with our concerns.
3 : in a state in which one thing does not agree with or match another —usually + with His values are out of tune with the times.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game