out of touchidiom
Definition of out of touch
1 : not communicating with each other I don't know if he still lives there. We've been out of touch for some time.
2 : in a state of not knowing what is happening, how certain people feel, etc. I've been away from the business for several years and feel quite out of touch. —usually + with He is out of touch with the younger generation.
to form ideas or theories about something
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Farm Idioms Quiz Take the quiz
- Up in the Sky: A Quiz Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game