Definition of out-of-town
(Entry 1 of 2)
1 : coming from or going to another town or city out-of-town mail out-of-town visitors
2 : happening in another town or city The band has an out-of-town show tomorrow night.
3 British : located away from the center of a town out-of-town shopping centers
out of townidiom
Definition of out of town (Entry 2 of 2)
1 : a different town She's from out of town.
2 : away from the town or city where one lives or where an activity usually takes place I'm going to be out of town over the weekend. The ball club will be playing out of town next week.
showing great care, attention, and effort
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Finance Words Quiz Take the quiz
- Namesakes Word Quiz Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game