open the floodgatesidiom
Definition of open the floodgates
: to remove something serving to restrain an outburst Many people fear that the court's latest ruling will open the floodgates for/to a host of new lawsuits.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- The Exceptions Quiz III Take the quiz
- Musical Words Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game