Definition of on trial
: in a situation in which evidence against one is presented in a court to a judge and often a jury to decide if one is guilty of a crime on trial for murder She went on trial for possession of drugs. —sometimes used figuratively to indicate that people will think about something in a critical way The controversial case has put the entire health-care system on trial.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 7 Words Related to "Work"
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 9/13/19
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?