on the telephoneidiom
Definition of on the telephone
1 : using a telephone to talk to someone He came to the door while I was on the telephone.
2 British : connected to a telephone system the percentage of households on the telephone
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game