on the one hand, on the other handidiom
Definition of on the one hand, on the other hand
—used to introduce statements that describe two different or opposite ideas, people, etc. On the one hand, I think the price is fair, but on the other (hand), I really can't afford to spend that much money.He's a good guy. His brother, on the other hand, is a very selfish man.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Is the Word 'Freshman' Going Out of Style?
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/23/19
- Getting to the Heart of 'Epicenter'
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Syn City Play the game