on the boilidiom
Definition of on the boil
1 British, informal : in a state of activity or development The deal is still on the boil. kept their romance on the boil
2 : on a hot burner/stove so that a liquid would boil She put the kettle (of water) on the boil.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game