Definition of noncharacter
(Entry 1 of 2)
1 : a person or thing that is not a character distinguishing characters from noncharacters in scanned text
2 : a character in a dramatic or literary work who is not important or interesting She's onstage the rest of the time as the ship's communications officer, one of the background noncharacters.— Sam Hurwitt
Definition of noncharacter (Entry 2 of 2)
: not of, relating to, being, or involving a character or characters a noncharacter narrator noncharacter animation also : not associated with a character (as from a movie) for product promotion noncharacter toys/branding
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- We Added New Words to the Dictionary for September 2019
- 7 Words Related to "Work"
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?