Definition of net-zero
: resulting in neither a surplus nor a deficit of something specified when gains and losses are added together net-zero carbon emissions The General Services Administration has sealed an unusual deal to guarantee achievement of net-zero energy consumption in a federal facility …— Charles S. Clark especially, of buildings : producing enough energy (as through solar panels or passive heating) to offset any energy consumed By 2020 all new homes built in California will have to be net-zero buildings that produce enough power to offset all their energy needs … — K. Kaufmann Another affordable, net-zero house is under construction in North Minneapolis, and a third is in development at the school. — John Cary
Keep scrolling for more
an act or instance of returning to life
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game