Definition of needfire
: a purificatory fire traditionally kindled usually by friction of dry wood in time of distress (as during a cattle plague) in the belief that it would ward off evil spirits specifically : the fire lighted on the night of St. John the Baptist's Day (June 24) to ward off sickness and ill luck — compare saint john's fire
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 7 Words Related to "Work"
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 9/13/19
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?