variants: or formerly South-West Africa or 1884–1919 German Southwest Africa
Definition of Namibia
country on the Atlantic Ocean in southwestern Africa that is bisected by the Tropic of Capricorn; capital Windhoek area 318,261 square miles (824,292 square kilometers), population 2,533,000
Note: Until 1990 Namibia was a territory administered by South Africa, which captured it from Germany in World War I.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Words of the Week - 6/18/21
- The Disparity Between 'Desperate' and 'Disparate'
- An Impartial View of 'Fair' and 'Fare'
- A Guide to Em Dashes, En Dashes, and Hyphens
Ask the Editors
- Return of Name that Color! Take the quiz
- Name that Thing: Dog Breeds Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game