variants: or formerly South-West Africa or 1884–1919 German Southwest Africa
Definition of Namibia
country on the Atlantic Ocean in southwestern Africa that is bisected by the Tropic of Capricorn; capital Windhoek area 318,321 square miles (824,451 square kilometers), population 2,113,077
Note: Until 1990 Namibia was a territory administered by South Africa, which captured it from Germany in World War I.
an act or instance of editing or removing
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 12 Words For A Lunar Travelogue
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 7/19/19
- On ‘Perpetrate’ and ‘Perpetuate’
- 13 Verbs From The Breakfast Table
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?