mete outphrasal verb
meted out; meting out; metes out
Definition of mete out
: to give (something) to the people who one decides should get it : to give out or distribute (something) We're trying to be fair in meting out rewards and punishments. —usually used to refer to something unpleasant (such as punishment) Huge fines were meted out as punishment.The king meted out justice as he saw fit.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- Add Diction Play the game