meted out; meting out; metes out
Definition of mete out
: to give (something) to the people who one decides should get it : to give out or distribute (something) We're trying to be fair in meting out rewards and punishments. —usually used to refer to something unpleasant (such as punishment) Huge fines were meted out as punishment.The king meted out justice as he saw fit.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- “In Vino Veritas” and Other Latin Phrases to Live By
- 7 Shakespearean Insults to Make Life More Interesting
- Word Well Used: 'Resplendent'
- Machiavellianism and (A Whole Lot) More
Ask the Editors
- That Sounds Right/Write/Wright Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game