metabolomicsnoun, plural in form but singular in construction
Definition of metabolomics
: the scientific study and analysis of the metabolites produced by a cell, tissue, or organism After genomics and proteomics … will come metabolomics, the ability to measure all the metabolites the body uses and generates, in real time.— Steve Chapple To analyse the tumour cells' metabolism, they used a technique called "metabolomics." This involves crushing live tumour cells and measuring the metabolites they contain using a mass spectrometer.— Michael Slezak
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 'Buck Naked' or 'Butt Naked'?
- Do You 'Rein In' or 'Reign In' Something?
- Tiger Mom, Helicopter Parent, and More Words for Parenting Types
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 6/21/19
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words for Summer: A Quiz Take the quiz
- Finance Words Quiz Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Citation Play the game