mess about with (something)idiom
Definition of mess about with (something)
1 : to use or do (something) in a way that is not very serious I'm not really a painter; I just like to mess about with paints. She spent the evening messing about with the computer.
2 : to handle or play with (something) in a careless or foolish way Stop messing about with the stereo.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 10/18/19
- Noah Webster's Spelling Wins and Fails
- The Disputed Origins of the 'Egg Cream'
- At the Root of ‘Cubicle’
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Bee Cubed Play the game