mess aboutphrasal verb
Definition of mess about
1 : to spend time doing things that are not useful or serious : to waste time We just messed about all afternoon. She spent the evening messing about on the computer. It's time we stopped messing about and got busy.
2 : to have sex with someone who is not one's husband, wife, or regular partner His wife discovered that he was messing about (on her). —often + with His wife discovered that he was messing about with his secretary.
an act or instance of returning to life
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game