make up for (something)idiom
Definition of make up for (something)
: to do or have something as a way of correcting or improving (something else) He wanted to make up for neglecting his children by spending more time with them. She tried to make up for lost time by working extra hard. What the movie lacks in plot it makes up for in special effects.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- The Exceptions Quiz III Take the quiz
- Musical Words Quiz Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Bee Cubed Play the game