make up groundidiom
Definition of make up ground
: to move faster in order to come closer to someone or something ahead She was trailing in the race, but she was beginning to make up ground. —often used figuratively The campaign is trying to make up ground by advertising heavily in key states.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game