make an example ofidiom
Definition of make an example of
: to punish (a person who has done something wrong) as a way of warning other people not to do the same thing Although it was only his first offense, the judge decided to make an example of him and sentence him to prison.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game