Definition of lob wedge
: a wedge that has a clubface with a very high degree of loft (typically 60°) and that is used especially for hitting short, high shots from close to the green He laid open his lob wedge so that it was almost flat on the ground and hit a soft, high cut that looked like it might go in the hole for a three on the fly.— Michael Bamberger and Alan Shipnuck, The Swinger, 2011 also : a shot hit with a lob wedge Proof of her improved short game lies in shots like the 95-yard lob wedge she hit close for a birdie on the 72nd hole at last year's Evian Masters to tie for second. — Pete McDaniel, Golf Digest, March 2011
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
- Lovelock to Trichologist: 8 Words About Hair
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?