live by one's witsidiom
Definition of live by one's wits
: to survive by doing clever and sometimes dishonest things Out in the jungle, with no food or shelter, he had to live by his wits. a young thief who lives by her wits
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- We Added New Words to the Dictionary for September 2019
- 7 Words Related to "Work"
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?