live byphrasal verb
lived by; living by; lives by
Definition of live by
1 : to agree with and follow (something, such as a set of beliefs) He tried to live by his faith. a principle I try to live by
2 : to survive by (doing something) They were an ancient people who lived by hunting and gathering.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 9/13/19
- A Guide to Using Colons
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?