live byphrasal verb
lived by; living by; lives by
Definition of live by
1 : to agree with and follow (something, such as a set of beliefs) He tried to live by his faith. a principle I try to live by
2 : to survive by (doing something) They were an ancient people who lived by hunting and gathering.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
- Lovelock to Trichologist: 8 Words About Hair
- The Haiku That Can Pay You Contest Winners
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Add Diction Play the game