legate a laterenoun
legate a la·te·re | \ -ˌäˈlätəˌrā\
Definition of legate a latere
: a confidential papal legate of the highest degree who is appointed especially for a particular mission and not as a permanent representative abroad —distinguished from nuncio
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 9/13/19
- A Guide to Using Colons
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?