leap out atphrasal verb
leaped out at or leapt out at; leaping at; leaps out at
Definition of leap out at
1 : to suddenly come at (someone) from a hiding place The man leaped out at her from behind a shrub.
2 : to immediately get the attention of (someone) The picture on the magazine's cover leaps out at you.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 10/18/19
- Noah Webster's Spelling Wins and Fails
- The Disputed Origins of the 'Egg Cream'
- At the Root of ‘Cubicle’
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Syn City Play the game